11.09.2008

Hello friends and family,

I've done and seen a lot since I last posted an entry. The Tuesday before we left was the last day of my service project at the geriatrics center. It was sad to leave the staff and residents that we developed relationships with. I have posted some pictures of the last day on my photobucket account.

On Wednesday we left in the morning and arrived in Istanbul around 2 pm. I did experience some cultural shock moving from Egypt to more Westernized and secular nation such as Turkey. Nonetheless, Istanbul was an amazing city to explore. I saw the Hagia Sofia, toured the Bosphorus Straits, visited an island off the coast of Turkey, went to a professional soccer game, and so much more. I also heard from many different speakers, including members of the ruling AK party in Turkey, about the current politics and social issues of Turkey. We stayed in Istanbul for about 6 days and then left for Ankara by bus. We stayed in Ankara for two days and saw Ataturk's tomb and heard a few more speakers as well.

After driving back from Ankara to Istanbul we flew to Aleppo, Syria and stayed overnight in Aleppo. The next morning we got up and headed toward Damascus. On the way we stopped at a Crusader castle to explore it and had an amazing authentic Middle Eastern meal. I am currently in Damascus just outside the Old City of Damascus, where it is believed Paul came after his conversion experience. So far we have explored the Old City, visited an amazing mosque that claims to have the head of John the Baptist, seen what is believed to be Ananias's house where Paul came, and went to a Turkish bath. The Old City is fascinating and has a ton of history and Syria itself is a beautiful country.

I've had to pinch myself a couple of times to make sure I'm actually really getting to do this. This trip as been fantastic and I still have Jordan and Israel/Palestine ahead. Thank you for all of your prayers. Hopefully I'll be able to update you at least one more time before the travel part of my trip is complete.

Scott

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Scott! Your trip sounds amazing. I can't wait to see and hear more about it when you get home! I miss you, but I'm so jealous you got to have this incredible experience. Keep enjoying!--Leah