Dear family and friends,
So here I am at the end of my time in the Middle East. It has been an amazing experience of travel, learning, growing, challenges, and fun. I know those words are very general and don't begin to describe the semester I had, but it's hard for me to express in writing what this semester has been to me. I know as I come home and begin to process my time here even more things will become much clearer to me.
One thing that has been challenging to me has been seeing God in this region. The nature of this program is very intellectual and political. I learned a lot about the problems politically and religiously within the Middle East. I must admit it was quite disheartening and it made me cynical and judgmental. However, throughout the semester I have met people, Muslim and Christian alike, who have shown me God's love through their actions and words. These people don't make up the corrupt and oppressive political and religious systems that we as Americans here about everyday. They are the ones suffering under them, yet they still showed us, American college students, hospitality and warmth. It took me a long time to realize that God is working here in and through Muslims, Christians, and Jews living in this region. What we here on the news back in the states is just one small part of the picture that real people are living in and dealing with daily. If there is anything I can take back with me it is my experiences and stories of the people I met while living here.
Last but definitely not least, I want to thank you all who have read my blog (even though it wasn't great writing) and for those who have prayed for me. I greatly appreciate all of you and I can't wait to get back and share my stories and experiences with you and to hear your stories and experiences these past 3 and a half months. Well I'll see you back in the states. Ma' salaama!
Scott
P.S. For those that don't know I arrive back to California this Friday night around 7:45 pm. I'm completely free next week to get together with those of you that would like to.
No comments:
Post a Comment